Updated On — 18th May, 2019
Body Mass Index Calculator: Scientifically BMI is a gross estimation of the fat amount in the body. Abnormal BMI can produce many serious health problems. When an individual’s weight divided by the square of his/her height in meters then that call BMI. According to ‘The National Institute of Health’ BMI plays as the deciding parameter for knowing underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese.
A normal BMI represents the ideal weight of you and a healthy BMI helps to decrease typ2 diabetes, the problem of heart, and also hypertension. Scientifically BMI measures the amount of tissue mass (muscles, fat, and bones) of a person.
Your BMI is......
less than 18.5: Underweight
18.5 - 24.9: Normal weight
25 - 29.9: Overweight
30 - 34.9: Class I Obese
35 - 39.9: Class II Obese
40 upwards: Class III Obese
Your BMI is......
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Q. How to calculate BMI? (BMI Calculator In Kg And Cm)
Body Mass Index Calculator– When we dividing a person’s weight by the square of his/her height, then we find BMI.
If the weight (in Kilogram) and height (in meter), then BMI:-
BMI= Weight (in kilogram)/Height2 (in metre)
Example:- If the weight of a person is 50 kilogram and height is 1.6 meter, then
BMI= 50/(1.5)2 = 19.53
If the weight in pounds and height (in inches), then BMI:-
BMI= 703*Weight (in pounds)/Height2 (in inches)
Example:- If the weight of a person is 98 pounds and height is 58 inches, then
BMI= 703*98/(58)2 = 20.48
Read also: (Natural Weight Loss Tips)
Read also: (Weight Loss With Ketogenic Diet)
Q. What are the ranges of BMI? (BMI chart)
The different ranges of BMI are:-
BMI of less than 18.5 (underweight):
This range shows that you are underweight and you need to keep on some weight. BMI under 18.5 can produce the risk of malnutrition, osteoporosis, anemia. Individual also can face the problem of hormonal, digestive. So, you need to ask a doctor or dietitian.
BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 (healthy):
BMI range of 18.5 to 24.9 shows a healthy weight in respect of height. So by maintaining a healthy weight, you can reduce the generation of serious health problems.
Range from 25 to 29.9 (overweight):
This range shows slightly overweight. So, you should need to lose some weight due to health reasons. You can consult a dietitian for this.
Range from 30 to above (obese):
This range shows that you are obese or heavily overweight. So, BMI more than 30 or equal to 30 can produce heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, colorectal cancer. You should need to talk about this with a doctor or a dietitian.
Read also: (Secret about Weight Loss Surgery)
Q. What is the correlation of BMI to a health risk?
- For avoiding the ranges of diseases and health conditions you should need to have a healthy weight.
- Individual who have BMI more than 30 or equal to 30 then he/she can face heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, colorectal cancer.
- An individual who have BMI under 18.5 then he/she can face the risk of malnutrition, osteoporosis, anemia. Individual also can face the problem of hormonal, digestive.
Q. What are the limitations of BMI?
In the article (Body Mass Index Calculator: BMI Calculator For Kids, BMI Full Form), Popularly BMI uses to calculate the weight of a person. But there are some limitations of BMI.
- One limitation to the body mass index is that it does not differentiate between fat and lean body mass. For example, an athlete or bodybuilders who have an excess amount of muscle mass could very easily fall into the overweight or obese categories based on their BMI. However, BMI has been found to be very consistent amongst the general population.
- BMI does not directly measure body fat. Therefore some people, like athletes, may have a BMI that identifies them as overweight even though they do not have excess body fat.
- For men and women, BMI doesn’t change. However, as mentioned above there are differences in the body frame and muscular build up.
- BMI cannot directly indicate any health disease measurement.
- In pregnant and breastfeeding mothers BMI in a normal range is not applicable.
Therefore, in the article (Body Mass Index Calculator: BMI Calculator For Kids, BMI Full Form) BMI is an effective way to identify your body weight easily but it has some limitation. You can maintain your weight by calculating your BMI and can avoid weight-related serious health problems.